Taboo is a verbal game. After learning vocabulary from Integrated Chinese Volume 1, lesson 1-10, this is a perfect game to practice oral skill with your students. Students see a word with an image, they need to think about other related vocabulary and try to express. If you think the design may be too difficult for your students, they can ignore the taboo words. That means they can use any word but the clue word on the card. Once they are ready to level up, they can play as a regular Taboo game (which means all words on the card are not allowed to be used).
- Zip file, Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
- File kind: PDF, JPG and PowerPoint files.
- Taboo rules (PDF)
- 6 cards on a Letter size paper. 25 pages in total. So 150 cards (72 cards from lesson 1-5, 78 cards from lesson 6-10) can be made. Teachers can print, cut, and laminate. (JPG)
- Product also includes two pages PowerPoint files (72 + 78 pages). Teachers can simply use each page as a single card. (PPTX)
Four or more players are divided into two teams, team A and team B. Team A chooses a person to be the clue-giver. The clue-giver will draw a card. Clue cards have the clue word on the top of the card and the taboo words listed below the clue word. The goal of this game is for the rest of the teammates to guess the clue word while not using the taboo words listed below the clue word. Place the cards in the discard pile after using them in the same game.
- Clue-givers can only talk in Chinese.
- Teammates can only guess the word in Chinese.
- Clue-givers may not use any taboo words, including abbreviations and any part of the taboo word.
- Clue-givers may not use sound effects or use gestures to indicate the clue word.
- Clue-givers may pass on any card at any time, but the card is then placed in the discard pile.
- When time is called, the final card does not go into the discard pile, but is instead removed from play. (Teacher can decide how much time is allotted for each card to fit your students’ level.)
The clue word is “英文.” The taboo words are “外国” and “美国.” The clue-giver is only allowed to give clues in Chinese.
For example, he can say 我会说 _____。 不是汉语, 是 ____。
Be careful! Since you can not use any character on the card, that means you can’t say “中文” either since “文” is on the card!
Watch the video to learn how to play taboo!
After you purchase, we will hold the order until the payment is completed. After we confirm the payment, you will receive an email with links to download. (It may take up to few hours to process.)
For Resource Licensing Policy, please see our policy here. In short, for the digital resources you purchase here, you can use them in the classrooms and personal use.
- You may not use the Resource, in part or in whole, for commercial purposes. This means you can’t sell it.
- You may not post or otherwise make the Resource available on any website.
- You may not share, send, sell, sublicense, or transfer the Resource to someone else.
- Teachers may not share the resource with students. Students may NOT share the resource to someone else.